Sunday 21 September 2008

Studying, Typos, and Planning...

OK, it's been a little while since I've posted here, but I do intend to do so more often (promise!). And first a confession - since my last post I haven't done any more planning for my NaNoWriMo novel. It's just that I find it very hard to plan a novel in too much detail before I actually write it. So all that I intend to do before November is to write very brief one or two sentence summaries for what I'd like to be in each chapter. That, combined with the fact that I already have a good idea of what's going to be in the novel (including the ending), should hopefully be sufficient for me to fly with it come 1st November...

I've received my study pack from the Open University for the creative writing course I'm doing with them this year, and it's looking very interesting! I've read through the first chapter (even though the course doesn't officially start until next week) and it appears that I'm going to learn a lot from this course. I've also had a look at (and posted a few messages in) the forums that the OU provides for the course, which are very active with lots of people taking part, so it looks like it's going to be a lot of fun!

And with all this writing I'm going to be doing I need to be on the lookout for typos, as I seem to be particulary prone to them. I spotted a few on my website (which I've gone and quietly corrected) and it's really annoying when I see them! Even though I re-read everything several times before I publish them on my site, there always seems to be a few typos that get through. My brain just seems to skip over some of them for some reason, and it's only when I read something in a different format (such as a different font in a different size) that I spot them. So it looks like I'll have to read through my writing in two different formats before publishing in future, just to try and catch them. I just hope that no more get though the net...

(And, before you all rush to comment, yes that last one was deliberate!)

No comments: