Saturday 29 November 2008

Another delayed update...

Yes, I know I've been a bit crap about updating the blog during NaNoWriMo this year, but that's because I've been too busy working on my novel. But here's how things have been going since my last post.


Days nineteen and twenty didn't go so well as I just did 527 and 995 words respectively. Things improved on day twenty-one with a further 2,540 words, bringing me up to 54,132 words in total.


Things dipped on day twenty-two with just 1,393 words, but then on days twenty-three to twenty-six I had my best sustained period of days, with 3,539, 3,496, 2,973, and 3,037 words written on each of those days, taking me up to 68,570 words. Part of that was that I was able to get a lot of writing done during my lunchbreaks at work - with no access to Facebook or games I had little to distract me, allowing me to get a lot written, sometimes as much as 1,500 words in 45 mins. I then followed those up with good writing sessions at home. Things were looking good for reaching 80,000 words by Sunday, as I only had to write an average of 2,858 words a day for four days, which is less than I had been writing on the preceding four days.


But writing at this pace does have its costs, and tiredness was starting to set in. Day twenty-seven saw 1,485 words, and day twenty-eight (yesterday) saw 2,489 words, meaning I'm currently on 72,544 words with just two days to go. I'm planning to break these down into three 2,500 word writing sessions. I'm hoping to get two of those done today, leaving just one for tomorrow. But the bare minimum is to get at least one done today.


I'm also in the middle of writing what is turning out to be one of the longest chapters in the novel - it's at about 4k now and there's still more to go! But it is a key point in the novel and will probably be one of my favourite chapters in it. The only thing is, it's about one of the subplots concerning one of the secondary characters, and the main character doesn't even appear in it. But he's got plenty more coming up for him later...


So, let's take a look at the graph:



I'm sure you can see that it's pretty self-explanatory and don't need me to tell you what all of the lines mean!

Right, I'm off to get cracking on the first of those writing sessions. I can see that 80k is still within reach, I just have to stretch a little for it...

No comments: