Sunday 22 December 2013

Looking Back – 2013

The purpose of this blog post is for me to take a look back over 2013. However, due to various reasons, there are particular topics that I don’t talk about publically, and so this will inevitably have to be an edited history – although not quite edited to Orwellian standards, as nothing will be changed, just (large) parts omitted...

One new thing which I did this year was start writing these weekly blog posts. I started back in April, and have only missed out one week (because of NaNoWriMo). The purpose of this blog was for me to simply write about the various random topics that pass through my head. And it goes without saying that some of my posts are more popular than others. There weren’t vast numbers of hits for my posts on the film Koyaanisqatsi, or on my favourite Sophie Ellis-Bextor songs. However, there was some love for Knightmare (which I also got to see a live version of this year), and interest in my post about when I was a Gamesmaker at London 2012. But the post that received the most hits was the one I did about my dad, on what would have been his 70th birthday...

Writing wise, earlier in the year I completed the first rewrite of my 2009 NaNoWriMo novel “The Day I Lost My Mind”. A couple of beta readers have read it and given me feedback. There is still a lot of work that needs to be done on it (after all, it is only at the second draft stage at the moment), but the feedback I’ve got will help me in working out what needs to change to make it better.

In November I once again took part in NaNoWriMo, writing 150,021 words, raising £85 for charity in the process (and also getting myself mentioned on the BBC News website!). However, this year’s novel, “The Seventh Cycle” is not in a fit state to be read by anyone. Ever. It is definitely not one of my best. However, I don’t feel it’s a waste of time. There were some good ideas in the novel which I wouldn’t have had if I hadn’t gone through the process of writing it. These ideas can, one day, be lifted out and reused in something else that could end up being good enough to share...

“Doctor Who” featured a lot this year, as it celebrated its 50th anniversary. During this year I managed to watch every single episode of the show (or listen to the soundtracks if the episode was missing from the BBC’s archives), including its spin-off shows, and I covered a few other bits and pieces as well. It was tricky to try and find the time to watch them all by the time of the 50th anniversary special, although I did just about manage it. It may be a few years before I do another massive marathon of a TV show...

Towards the end of the year I started hosting Games Days in my flat. Well, technically, I’ve only had two so far, and one of those was linked in with an all-night NaNoWriMo write-in, but I intend to keep them going. The games involved include both tabletop games such as “Carcassonne” and “Risk”, and video games, mainly on my retro games consoles (particularly my SNES)...

So, there are a few edited highlights from my 2013. Obviously, there was a lot more going on than these few items, but there are some things in my life which are just not for sharing on this blog...

Next Week: Looking Forward...

No comments: