Friday 31 October 2008

The eve of NaNoWriMo 2008...

NaNoWriMo 2008 officially starts tomorrow, and I'm all ready to go! I've messaged a load of my Facebook friends about it, and I know of a couple of people that are going to be starting at midnight, but I'm waiting until tomorrow morning before I start mine - I need a good night's sleep first!

This year will be tougher than last year as I'm going for 125,000 words (instead of the 50,000 you need to do to be declared a winner). There were a few days last year when I was behind schedule, but I caught up and finished a day early. But if I'm to hit 125,000 words this year I don't have that luxury.

I've got the next two weeks off of work, which means that I'm only going to be working for 10 out of the 30 days in November. The plan is to write 5,000 words on the days that I'm not working, and "just" 2,500 on the days that I am. It's going to be tough, but do-able. I've got the plot more or less sorted, but there's still plenty of room to expand. I can't wait to get started!

Based on my writing schedule, here are some key dates during November:

1st November: The beginning - if I can get 5,000 words done today I'll be off to a good start, any more than that is a bonus. This is also the date of the London kick off party where I'll get to meet some of the other Londoners taking part this year.

2nd November: Day 2, and the day that I should hit 10,000 words. The first two days will be the toughest, but if I'm still on target at the end of today I can start to settle down into a rhythm.

4th November: Apparantly something important is supposed to be happening in America today, but I can't quite remember what...

5th November: 25,000 words - half way to the official NaNoWriMo target.

9th November: My brother's birthday, and we'll be having a family dinner. With any luck, I'll get to 45,000 words before going out.

10th November: 50,000 words, the official NaNoWriMo target! If I make it to this point, but no further, I can still hold my head up high.

15th November: The mid-month London meet up. Hopefully they won't be pointing and laughing at me for being behind my schedule.

16th November: The last day before I go back to work. As well as getting to bed at a reasonable hour, I'll need to get to 80,000 words.

17th November: Back to work, and the ton of e-mails that will be waiting for me. I will not be trying to write any of my novel whilst I'm supposed to be working. I may not always tell the truth. (And this will be the point that I regret informing my colleagues and managers about my blog...)

21st November: Not only am I working today, but I may need to be going to another part of the country for the day. Hopefully I'll be back home in time to get my 2,500 words for the day done.

23rd November: If I'm on target this will be a duel celebration - passing 100,000 words, and, at 102,500 words, beating my previous record for the longest story I've ever written (which would be my original series of fanfics about some witch or other that came to 101,462 words).

30th November: The last day, where I should hopefully reach 125,000 words, to the sounds of cheers of everyone who's supporting me, and another year of NaNoWriMo over.

So there you have it, one very hectic month! Like last year you can follow my progress via my blog, but new for this year I'm hoping to have a Dave Gorman style graph! Now, it's about time that I went to bed so that I'm nice and fresh to start tomorrow morning. My first update here will be in the evening, where I'll be revealing my novel's title and premise, so I hope you'll join me then.

And good luck to all of my friends that are also taking part this year!

No comments: