Monday 3 November 2008

Day Two: Slipping behind...

OK, OK, I know I said I'd tell you about the plot and reveal the graph yesterday, and I haven't. I'm a bad, bad blogger! Unfortunately yesterday's writing didn't go as well as the first day's. I went to my parents for lunch, and when I was back I wanted to watch the Grand Prix (and glad I did - it was a thrilling race and I'm pleased for Lewis Hamilton becoming world champion!). I did write some of my novel during the race, and intended to try and get up to my target for the day in the evening.

But it just wasn't happening for me, it was a struggle for me to get any words down. In the end I decided that it was better for me to get a good night's sleep than to stuggle on to 10,000 words, and so I decided to stop for the day. Unfortunately, I was only on 6,483 words, 3,517 behind my target.

It's taken me a while to get started today, but the words are starting to flow now. Under the original schedule I should have been aiming to reach 15,000 words today, but that would now involve writing 8,517 words in one day, which, even by my standards, is madness. And so I've decided that I'm going to try and write around 6,000 words today, which would be the 5,000 I was due to write today, plus 1,000 words that now forms part of my "word debt". And so today's revised target is 12,500 words. I'm currently at 7,550, and so there's still another 4,950 to go. I'm going to try writing them in 1,000 word bursts, and so that's five writing sessions to go. I'll keep you posted on my progress during the day here.

Whilst I may be behind my target, here's another way at looking at things. The official NaNoWriMo target is 50,000 words, which means you have to write an average of 1,666 and two-third words each day. At official NaNoWriMo pace you should reach 5,000 words today, and 6,667 words tomorrow, and so I'm already more than a day ahead of that pace, so I'm still looking good for becoming a NaNoWriMo winner, greatly surpasing the official target. But I really want to get to 125,000 words...

Oh, and I promise to at least tell you what my novel is actually about at some point today! And I might even get the graph up as well...

No comments: