Sunday 31 October 2010

NaNoWriMo 2010

OK, so, in my last post, when I said that I was going to post here again in a few days time, I actually meant 365 days time. Er, sorry about that...

And I've got to be really quick here, and so here's a quick summary of the last year. NaNoWriMo 2009 went great, and I ended up writing 101,548 words in 29 days! This was the second highest score in London - I was beaten by Joan of Quark who managed to write an incredible 120,000 words...

My OU course went OK. Didn't get quite as high a mark as I would have liked, but I did OK, and I now have a Diploma in Literature and Creative Writing to add to my name! I've decided to hold off on doing an MA, at least for the time being. For now, I'm still doing some OU courses, this time in computing (M150 and T175) - the role I currently perform at work is IT related.

Work itself has been, well, OK, and I decline to comment any further on that subject...

I'm now also on Twitter, and, if you wish you can follow me: @karlsgreen

And, now NaNoWriMo 2010 is upon us! After my success last year I'm aiming to beat my 2009 total as this year I'm aiming for a whopping 150,000 words! But this year is about much more than that. I've decided to get myself sponsored for charity, specifically, St Luke's Hospice in Harrow and Brent, who helped to look after my father shortly before he died last year. If you wish to sponsor me you can do so at:

http://www.justgiving.com/karlsgreen

Please do sponsor me as much as you can - even just a few pounds will be much appreciated by myself and St Luke's.

As for my novel itself, it's called "Thirty Days", and, funnily enough, it will be set during the thirty days of November! Each chapter will relate to one day, and I'll be publishing a chapter each day to my website! You'll find all of the details at:

http://www.karlsgreen.co.uk/thirtydays

My aim is to get each chapter up by approx. 6.30pm each day.

I've got the first two weeks booked off of work, and so during this time I'm going to have to get ahead of myself in terms of wordcount - ideally I need to do a minimum of 7,500 words per day for the first 14 days (even though each chapter will only be about 5,000 words). Let's see how I do with that...

The build up to this year's Nano has been great - I know that I and a lot of my friends are very excited at the prospect that that madness that is NaNoWriMo is about to start again! I also met a load of nice people at the two NaNoWriMo kick-off parties that we had in London, and we have a great community on the net, both on Facebook and Twitter. You can find the NaNoWriMo London group on Facebook at:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=6905365979

You can also follow us on Twitter by searching for #nanolondon, and by following @LondonNaNo

Well, it's just over 20 minutes to go now. I and a few other London Nanoers are going to be starting at midnight and seeing how much we can do before we all go to bed. Wish me luck everyone! (I have a feeling I'm going to need it. Why did I say I was going to do 150,000...?)

No comments: